Friday, June 16, 2006

Last night Keli and Hany asked the family they've been staying with if I could spend the night too. They said yes and asked if we'd like an extra cot. I got to use my very limited spanish to tell her this was unnecessary. They also asked for me if Julio would be working on the new kitchen he's building and if I could help. They said yes and promised me luch too.

The bed was a piece of warped plywood with a thin but soft matress pad thrown on top, about the size of a double. The warp was right in the small of my back and I thought I'd never get comfortable, but I wouldn't switch when Keli asked if I wanted to. I wanted her to be in the middle, and eventually I got a decent nights sleep.

In the morning I woke up excited to work with Julio and wondering if he was already waiting for me. Keli had gone to sleep worrying that she hadn't brushed her teeth and it was the first thing she did when she woke up. I smoked a cigarette first, then brushed mine too. I wasn't exactly sure of the sink ettiquite, everyone in cental america seems to have these huge double-sided cement sinks, usually outdoors. The left side has the tap and a basin which remains full of water. I think I was supposed to dip water from this bason and pour it over my toothbrush on the other side, but the water had a stuffed bear and some other things floating in it, not to mention who knows what insects and their eggs. I wasn't about to put it in my mouth, so I used fresh water from the tap and just spit on the ground.

I got help asking when my help would be wanted for the kitchen and Julio said at 3. So Keli and I went for a morning coffee at Alavaro's, while Hany rested a while longer in bed.

We started talking about the dynamics of our very dark pot trip the night before. Hany had sat up and said that he was having a bad trip and asked Keli if she felt more of her energy going to me than to him. Keli, frustrated with this line of inquiry and not really wanting to play along, kept disengaging. She'd suggest that we go around in a circle talking or singing about how we felt, trying to demonstrate with a light hearted tune, when Hany wouldn't play along she wandered a few paces away to look at the stars. True to their continuing dynamic while I'm around, Hany interpreted this as a lack of care for him by Keli.

No comments: