Monday, June 26, 2006

I wonder why it is that Nicaraguan homes are so ugly. I have hard time believing it simply a matter of poverty. Most of the people I met are poor in terms of material resources, but rich in liesure time; rich in hapiness and well-being. Is it only that they find their beauty out of doors, considering it the sole provice of nature? Is it that they don't care one way or the other about aesthetics, finding other diversions more rewarding? Or could it be that their homes are beautiful to them and it is only my own sense of aesthetics, culturally out of place, that calls them ugly?

Inspired designs can be achieved with simple materials. I don't know much about it, but I know that I've seen beautiful buildings built from little more than dirt and water. Have I mis-interpreted their lives? Have I assumed happiness and well-being where all around me are the signs of a culture depressed to the point of inaction? Really, what is going on here?

No comments: