Sunday, February 12, 2006

HAI Ball Angst

So, now I'm at the HAI Ball, and I'm discovering that its not the easy social night of relaxation that I was expecting. First I was attacked by social anxiety; every person I talked to seemed to become uncomfortable then excuse themselves. I wondered if I was being rebuked, if I just wanted more time for connection than was average in such situations, if I was projecting my own anxiety and it was making people want to leave. All this despite many obviously warm receptions, and numerous extravagant compliments.

The most extravagant of which is that Chris is here and has been telling me ...

...and there went her boyfriend since November walking by and asking what I'm doing out here. I just held up my phone as if that explained something. And it was good enough for him. If it hadn't been, what would I have said? Oh, I'm just feeling shitty because I have a crush on your girlfriend. And she's with you, and she lives in Boston, and I know there's no way to make it work even if she was available, but I can't seem to think of anything else right now.

No comments: