Monday, February 6, 2006

first entry

Okay, so after having a live journal account for over a year and never posting to it, I've decided to start. The impetus comes from having just had the paper journal that I've been keeping for the past five years stolen while traveling in Costa Rica (along with my backpack, wallet, clothes, all my credit cards, etc.). My hope is that this way I can never again loose all that effort.

The trip itself was quite an adventure right from the start. On the flight over I met a Guatemalan woman with whom I got to practice my Spanish and, to my amazement, my kissing. Marisella isn't the first married woman I've kissed, but she is the first without her husband's consent. We both knew this wasn't going anywhere after the flight, so I feel innocent enough about it, but what a welcome!

When we landed she was nervous about her husband seeing us together, so she waited on the plane until I'd left. I guess I'll never see her again. I feel some sadness that she'll have to hold the memory so privately; telling Keli all about it was the first thing I did when I got out of the airport.

It was so great to see Keli! She was easy to pick out of the crowd with her orange and blue hair, not to mention the relative lack of gringos. We sat outside for a couple hours talking and waiting to be picked up by the rest of the group.

No comments: