Friday, July 28, 2006

Sometimes it seems like the more significant events of my life fail to get written about. There was too much going on at summer camp for me to write while I was there, and I think I've avoided writing since because, obviously I can't write about anything else until after I've written about that. But then, obviously I can.

Last night I listened to "The Path to Tranquility" by the Dali Lama. I enjoyed it, but I was astounded to discover that I don't think much of the depth of the dali lama's understanding of reality. He seems like a really sweet guy; earnest and passionate about doing good, definitely an Eneagram 1, but I think I my own spiritual depth might be greater. Ironic then, that what I found most exciting and informative were the introductory "8 verses for disciplining the mind" which he himself has taken much inspiration from; the second verse of which is "When in the company of others I shall always consider myself the lowest of all and from the depth of my heart hold them dear and superior". This shocked me. And spoke to me. Why? Is the quest for status one of the roots of suffering? If desire is suffering then it seems clear that it is. And yet, why always consider myself the lowest? Why not just notice my own assesment of my own status without attachment? Could it be that this is just very hard to do? That I am so tricky with myself that this inquiry might be an endless loop, never reaching anything but doubt and more doubt about the accuracy of my assesment? To always consider oneself lowest might be the shortest path to the realization that the assessment of status does not matter. An instant short circuit to the "what is my status?" question. I had the thought that if I accept this practice, then I should emphasize the infinite beauty and wonder of the others, to feel myself the least among beings quite magnificent. Maybe this is the point. If I am the lowest, then I will want to lift everyone. And that feels good.

Last night I did some writing about the first verse, on paper. I'll go get it....

Okay, first, the eight verses in their entirety. I thought it was worthwhile to write them out by hand last night after I heard them, and I never do that, but now I'll type them out too.

THE EIGHT VERSES FOR DISCIPLINING THE MIND

Regarding all sentient beings as excelling even the wish-granting gem for accomplishing the highest aim, may I always hold them most dear.

When in the company of others I shall always consider myself the lowest of all and from the depth of my heart hold them dear and supreme.

Vigilant, the moment a delusion appears which endangers myself and others I shall confront and avert it without delay.

When I see beings of wicked nature overwhelmed by violent and negative actions and sufferings I shall hold such rare ones dear as if I have found a precious treasure.

When others, out of envy, treat me with abuse, insult me, or the like, I shall accept defeat and offer the victory to others.

When someone whom I have benefited and in whom I have great hopes gives me terrible harm, I shall regard him as my holy spiritual friend.

In short, both directly and indirectly, do I offer every benefit and happiness to all sentient beings, my mothers; may I secretly take upon myself all their harmful actions and sufferings.

May they not be defiled by the concepts of the eight profane concerns and, aware that all things are illusory, may they ungrasping be freed from bondage.
Current Location: Livingroom
Current Music: random

No comments: